Hockey Alberta released its Return to Hockey Plan on Tuesday, providing the framework and minimum standards for Hockey Alberta’s Members to undertake hockey activities.
The Plan also allows players, coaches, officials, parents and other stakeholders to understand the current guidelines for operating sanctioned hockey for the 2020-21 season.
The Return to Hockey Plan and its appendices, along with other announcements and documents pertaining to COVID-19 and its impact on hockey in Alberta, can be reviewed on the Hockey Alberta website:
The Return to Hockey Plan incorporates the current requirements outlined in Stage 2 of the Government of Alberta’s Relaunch Plan, health and safety guidelines from Hockey Canada, and programming, registration and sanctioning for Hockey Alberta.
The health and safety of all participants in the sport is of paramount importance in all activities outlined in the Return to Hockey Plan. The threats and challenges posed by COVID-19 require specific steps to be taken to allow hockey back on the ice, and this plan addresses those requirements.
“It is important for our Members and families to know that there is a plan for hockey in Alberta for the coming season. Our players will be able to have fun, socialize with teammates and peers, and enjoy positive experiences in our game,” said Rob Litwinski, CEO of Hockey Alberta. “The Plan includes options to group players according to skill levels and engage in competition as they continue to develop their skills in preparation for returning to regular season play.”
The Return to Hockey Plan has three components:
- Off-Season Skill Development
- Development Season
- Regular Season
The Development components provide direction on types of hockey activities that can be offered utilizing Physical Distancing or Cohorting; requirements for organizations in determining who is eligible to participate; estimated timelines for each component; travel and other limitations; and registration and sanctioning requirements.
The Return to Hockey Plan – including the timelines included within it – is subject to change, as new guidelines and requirements are put in place by the Government of Alberta.
Hockey Alberta Return to Hockey Plan (June 30, PDF)
- Appendix 1: Hockey Canada Return to Hockey Safety Guidelines
- Appendix 2: Hockey Canada Safety Guidelines FAQ
- Appendix 3: Hockey Alberta Contact Tracing Template
- Appendix 4: COVID-19 Alberta Health Daily Checklist
- Appendix 5: Reporting a Positive COVID-19 Case
- Appendix 6: Roles and Responsibilities
- Appendix 7: Guidance on Cohorts (Government of Alberta)
- Appendix 8: Alberta Government Sports Relaunch – Stage 2
- Appendix 9: Hockey Canada Sanctioning Guidelines
- Appendix 10: Lane Formation Diagram
- Appendix 11: Station-Based Formation Diagram
- Appendix 12: Hockey Canada Guidelines For Officials
- Appendix 13: Player Selection Resource Guide